Friday, December 22, 2006

Pumpkin Spice Mini Loaves

I wanted to give my friends a present, and as much as I didn't want it to be edible, it makes it easiest, and the most fun on my part. Armed with cheap foil mini-loaf pans and a can of pumpkin puree, I was ready to bake! I dug out Pumpkin Bread recipe from last year, and with a
few simple changes I hoped would make it better, out it came. Next time though, I won't top it with nuts (they burned) and load it with fresh cranberries on the inside, and maybe some chopped walnuts or pecans.

Pumpkin Spice Mini Loaves
Makes 5 mini
loaves


1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
3 large eggs
1 15-ounce can pumpkin
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350ยบ Fahrenheit.
Grease (I use Baker's Joy because I'm lazy) 5 mini loaf pans.

Sift flours, spices, rising agents, and salt into a large bowl.

Beat sugar, butter, and applesauce together in another large bowl. Mix in eggs, pumpkin, and vanilla extract. Stir flour mixture into pumpkin mixture in two additions, just until combined.

Divide batter evenly between prepared pans (or 3 #10 scoops per pan). Bake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Transfer to racks and cool 5 minutes, then remove from pans and cool completely on racks.

No comments: