Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Dessert...Insired by a salad


The current issue of Eating Well has raspberries on the cover, so it isn't surprising that there is an article on raspberries with recipes for them. I remember there being a salad that had raspberries, mango, and avocado. We had a surplus of mango last week (hence the sorbet), but I didn't try to make the salad. Instead, I bought some raspberries to make raspberry sorbet, and was also set on making avocado ice cream and making a terrine out of them.

I've made the terrine. I just haven't unmolded or tried it yet, though I have had each component.


I was searching for an avocado ice cream when an old issue of Martha Stewart Living came in the mail. I flipped through it and saw avocados in one of the sections. I was thinking, maybe they'd have a recipe, and a few pages later, there it was in print. None of the ice cream books I had checked out from the library had contained a recipe (though I finally found The Perfect Scoop and it does) for Avocado Ice Cream, and the one I'd found on the Food Network website seemed to complicated. With the magazine, I now had all the components to make my terrine a reality.

The raspberry sorbet though, was by far the tastiest part. Or at least when eaten separately. It's super rich and as creamy as a sorbet could possible be.


Raspberry Sorbet

adapted from recipe for raspberry and kaffir lime sorbet in Ice Cream! by Pippa Cuthbert & Lindsay Cameron Wilson

2 cups raspberries
3/4 cup sugar
300 mL of water (approx 1 1/4 cups, sorry for changing units)
juice from 1 lime

Combine all ingredients in a pot and bring to a boil. Turn heat down and simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring. Remove from heat and cool for about 10 minutes. Process or blend to puree the mixture, and strain through a sieve into a bowl to remove seeds. Refrigerate until cooled. Once chilled, freeze according to ice cream maker's instructions.

No comments: