Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Wednesday Morning Magic Pancakes

This morning I entered my parents room with the usual question: What would you like for breakfast. They'd agreed to cereal, but I wasn't done rattling off their options yet: cereal, eggs, toast, pancakes, oatmeal.. The pancakes caught them by surprise (it is a Wednesday morning after all) and they went for it. Little did I realize that it would take me only 20 minutes to have the first 3 pancakes cooked-and I'd told Dad he had 45 minutes. But I slid into my seat a minute before the bell (and left mom with the dirty dishes, regretfully).

I decided to tweak the recipe I used on Sunday even more, and so adding my magic ingredient (you know a pureed banana makes everything better.)

Spongy Buttermilk Pancakes
1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 very ripe banana
1 cup buttermilk
2 Tablespoons mild oil (such as walnut or canola)
1 large egg

toasted walnuts, honey, and banana slices, to serve if desired (or just good ol' butter and syrup)

Lightly grease (if needed) and heat a griddle or large pan.

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl and whisk together to mix.

In a blender or food processor, combine banana and some buttermilk. Blend until smooth. Add remaining buttermilk, oil, and egg and blend together.
Pour the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture and mix together until smooth.

Pour or scoop approximately 3-4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) of batter onto the griddle and spread out to about 1 cm thick with a spatula. When bubbles appear, about 2 minutes or so, flip and continue cooking until springs back to the touch, about another 2 to 3 minutes.

Serve while warm, topped with walnuts, honey, and banana slices.

No comments: