Sunday, June 03, 2007

Rhubarb, anyone?

The farmer's market started up yesterday. I'll be honest though, it is known for its doughnuts, and I had to give them a try. But the verdant stalls also caught my eye.It is finals week though, sp I didn't want to buy all the delicious things, like fresh garlic and green onion, because I wasn't sure what I'd be doing as far as cooking this week and didn't want anything to go to waste. I also only bought 1/2 lb of rhubarb, planning to use it for dessert. But I got sick so it was put off until tonight.

My cousin approved of it, and thought having it with her ice cream was like "fresh strawberry ice cream." I thought the texture and sourness seemed almost like I'd just cooked up some raspberries.

I'm hoping though that there's still rhubarb next week since it is probably coming to an end soon, because this is definately worth making... I'm thinking topping my waffles with it.


Rhubarb-Strawberry Compote
makes ? cups, but enough to use as a topping for 6-8 people
Prep: 5 minutes Cook: 10-15 minutes

1 lb rhubarb
1 pint strawberries
1-2 Tablespoons sugar
ice cream, to serve

Cut rhubarb into about 1-cm thick slices crosswise. Toss into a saucepan with about a tablespoon of water over medium-high heat and cover. Reduce heat to low when it starts to boil and stir occasionally.
As rhubarb starts to cook, quarter the strawberries. When rhubarb is softened, add strawberries and stir occasionally until soft and thickened.

Update:
The sauce is also good on waffles, even if the waffles themselved aren't wonderful, or over pancakes. I heated it up before topping the waffles with it.

No comments: