Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Ready for Sorbetti?


Okay, so it wasn't true sorbetti (whatever that may be), but I did make sorbet.
Dad bought a box of mangoes, so we had nine RIPE mangoes in the house. He used some on Sunday night for dinner, but on Monday I decided I'd try my hand again at frozen treats. I flipped through the books I checked out from the library and found a two recipes for mango ice cream, one for mango sherbet, and one for mango sorbet. I asked Dad which he'd like, and he said sorbet (then sherbet, but I'm not a sherbet fan so I went ahead and made sorbet anyway.)

Since the first thing I'd made in the ice cream maker was a custard based ice cream, sorbet was a breeze. The only hard part was pureeing the mango with the orange juice because I was using too small of a food processor. Dad loved the sorbet, as did the other five people eating it. I'm not sure about the sixth because they took theirs to go.
I think I'll try it again, but see what happens if I make the syrup without corn syrup and omit the liquor, because it lowered the freezing point a bit TOO much. But it was good, so maybe no changes are in order.


Mango Sorbet

makes two quarts
from The Ice Cream & Frozen Yogurt Cookbook by Mable and Gar Hoffman

3 cups water
2/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup light corn syrup
2 large ripe mangoes
1 cup no-pulp orange juice
1/4 cup orange liqueur (such as Triple Sec)

In a medium saucepan combine water, sugar, corn syrup; stir until sugar dissolves. Set aside to cool.
Cut up mangoes and remove peel and puree in a food processor with the orange juice. Stir the mango puree into the cooled syrup. Stir in liqueur and freeze in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions

No comments: